Best Places To Stay In Munich:
Itineraries for Munich can different greatly, but here are the suggestions we’ve come up with which will give you the best experiences.
Important Hotel Tips For Munich:
1. Oktoberfest: Expect hotel prices to double or triple during Oktoberfest. Paying $200-250 a night for a double room will be a good deal as they can go from $400 to $1000 a night even for crappy hotels. You are also going to want to book really early as even 9 months before Oktoberfest most of the affordable chain hotels will be booked, even the mom and pop places fill up fast.
2. Location: Be careful on the location of you hotel. You can save money staying a little bit outside of Old Town (Altstadt) but it’s nice being the compact city center where you can walk to any attraction. There are subway, tram, and train lines going far outside the city center but you’ll really want to stay either right around Old Town or toward the Train Station/Oktoberfest grounds.
3. Number of Beds: Like any where in Europe a Double room doesn’t really mean a double room like in America, it’ll be 2 Twin beds pushed together called Matrimonial-style. If you really need 2 beds you are going to want to get a room with 2 separate Twin beds instead of a standard Double room. Expect that even if you stay at a larger chain hotel with two beds they will both be a Full sized bed at the biggest.
4. Room Size: The rooms are going to be small so don’t fret, it’s just more on an excuse to get out of the room and explore the city.
5. Bathrooms: Many hotels will give you the option of a private or shared bathroom. The shared bathroom with be down the hall from your room and shared by anywhere from 2-8 rooms depending on the size of the bathroom. We have never had any privacy, safety, or cleanliness issues with a shared bathroom.
Our Favorite Hotels In Munich:
Obviously big chain hotels like the Four Seasons, Marriott and the Hilton would give the best quality, but during major events they can be over $1000 per night which has led us to explore more of the Mom & Pop style hotels. Many of these Mom & Pop hotels can’t be found on the major hotel booking websites but they can offer a great experience. We’ve found that even when they are on the booking websites you can usually get a better room and rate by contacting the hotel directly when you book.
1. Euro Youth Hostel: Has both Private and Hostel-style Rooms near the train station. Is very popular and books up early. Has food and a bar.
2. Le Meridien Hotel: Located near the train station, this is one of the most affordable nicer hotels in Central Munich. Especially during Oktoberfest the location can’t be beat. The Sofitel, Aloft, and Courtyard Marriott are 3 other hotels in this same category nearby, but we just prefer this one if the price is about the same.
3. Hotel Muenchner Kindl: We have found this family run hotel to be the best values for Oktoberfest, located in the core of Old Town. Renate Dittert uns the office while her husband Günter runs the bar and kitchen. The rooms are a little small and the walls are thin, but it is clean and cheap. 1st opened in 1865.
4. Wombats City Hostel: Really solid hostel which also has private rooms and is right by the train station. They have bag lockers, food, and a bar also.
5. Motel One: With multiple city center locations, Motel One is an excellent budget friendly hotel that is actually cool, 70 euro charge during Oktoberfest, rooms normally 100-150 euro
6. Seibel Hotels: 3 Locations, 60-80 Euros/Night (140-250 during Oktoberfest)
Pension is SC City Center, Hotel is right by Oktoberfest, and the Park Hotel is far away.
7. Smart Stay Hotel Schweiz: City Center, 18-59 Euros/Night/Person (70-170 during Oktoberfest). They have a couple private rooms with either single or double rooms, plus various hostel style rooms with 4-8 beds
8. Hotel Bristol: SW by gate City Center, 77-100 Euros/Night (199-300 during Oktoberfest). They have a couple private rooms with either single or double rooms, plus various hostel style rooms with 4-8 beds
9. Hotel Ambiente: right between the train station and Oktoberfest, 50-100 Euros/Night (80-200 during Oktoberfest). They 46 double and single rooms
10. Hotel Mariahilf: 2
11. Hotel Stachus: 200-300 for oktoberfest, has rooms with 2 beds, right next to the train station
12. Hotel Cocoon: 2 – 2 locations, modern but small rooms, 250-300 Euro during Oktoberfest
13. Hotel Am Sendlinger Tor: 229 Euros for a double bed in Oktoberfest, by the Gate
Leonardo Hotel München City Center is $1350 with twins
http://www.heh.de – twins for $1400
http://www.munich-accommodation.com/index.php – i emailed
http://www.nh-hotels.com is $1300 with 2 twins
Arthotel: Modern and clean right by the Train Station, can add an extra bed to a double room for 25 Euro. Lavendel bar at arthotel munich is open every day from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.(cocktails, beer, long drinks, wine, pizza, salads, … and much more)!http://www.arthotelmunich.com/
Our Favorite International Booking Websites